Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Words vs. Your Words

The way we treat the people around us is a direct reflection of the people we are. Just like you wouldn't feel so great about dating a guy who is rude to the waiter on your first date, the same goes for the girl at school who constantly used to put you down when she wasn't pretending to be your friend. You just get the feeling that those two people just aren't very nice, or just aren't too happy. They don't make you feel good. And why would you want to be around people who don't make you feel good? The same is true for siblings, bullies, best friends, spouses, family members and any other relationship under the sun. The way you treat people is a reflection on you and it's a reflection on how you feel. This past week I've been thinking a lot. A lot more than I usually do. I've been thinking about how I treat people, how I love people and how I talk to people. And the truth is, most of the time, I'm not a very nice person. I'm just not. Even as I type this I have to stop myself from yelling at my sister. Because the person I am is reflected through my words and actions. And words hurt. To me words have always hurt more than physical injuries. A lot more. And that sucks. As I like to say, that sucks ducks. And most of the time I suck ducks.

Eventually words can change relationships and harden hearts. Words can cause callouses to form and things to change. Words that are used carelessly send a message. Those messages can really hurt. I don't want to be the person who's words reflect messages that say, "you aren't important to me" or "I don't have time for you" or "I don't love you". There are enough of those words out there. There are enough of those messages, and God doesn't call me to that. He calls me to his standard and His message. For sure and for certain, His message is NOT "I don't love you" so why should mine be? My words may be a reflection of myself or how I'm feeling because of someone else's words, but my words are mine. My words are my responsibility and I can't change those words by myself. On my own I can't, in my emotions, I can't. But with Him, I know I can.

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are like honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Matthew 12:37
For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

I hope you've had a great week, and moreover I hope you've learned something this week! Not just from me; from anyone, from anything. I hope you've changed and grown and you will continue to as the days go on. Stay tuned for a poem tomorrow. Have a great night!

Beckah

No comments:

Post a Comment