This is from here
When I feel lost, I write. When I feel alone, I write. When I feel confused, tired, joyful, inspired or captivated, I write. I've always been able to write and create, but up until recently I never considered that what I wrote for myself could be seen as good, or even great by anyone else. That is until I came across an online literary magazine called Literary Orphans about a month ago. It's strange to think that I did this on a whim, without thinking about it. I wrote a poem, read it over a couple times and then submitted it to be published. It's so unlike me not to think long and hard about something before doing it. But thats exactly how it happened. And I couldn't be happier!
For those of you who don't know, over the weekend one of my poems was published online in a journal called Literary Orphans. I can honestly say that I never even considered this a possibility before. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be able to say that something I've written has been published. It's beyond anything I could have asked for and I didn't even know I wanted it until I hit the submit button.
Writing for me has always been very personal. It's always been mine and when I share it, I do so very seldomly and cautiously. I've always wanted to write and I've always loved it but I don't think I ever really thought that my writing was that good. I guess in the words of Mike Joyce, my writing was an orphan. It was homeless. I wasn't really sure I wanted it, or if it was worth it. But are we not orphans together? Today I feel like we are. I feel like I am. I feel like my writing is. I never really realized how important my writing was until someone else saw it and wanted it. After seeing the issue go live I was in awe of how beautiful it looked. Not just my poem but the whole issue. Everything about it is beautiful. I really encourage you to read it, to take a look at it, to enjoy it (not just because my poem is featured). I encourage you to, simply because the masthead works so hard and it is honestly beautiful. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity and all the support from my family and friends who believe in me and my writing. I believe that people aren't always supposed to stay in our lives. We have seasons and some people don't stay that long. Someone told me once that my writing was important and that they believed in it. That person isn't part of my life anymore but they were right. And now I believe that too.
I'd also like to extend a thank you here on my blog to Mike. Thank you. Thank you for publishing my piece and for seeing my writing in a unique way. I am truly so grateful. And thank you to everyone at Literary Orphans for putting together a wonderful issue. An issue that flows so beautifully. An issue that connects so vividly with it's subject. An issue that tells a story through 35 different voices. Thank you for making writing important. I find it so unique, I find what you do so special. Taking an orphan and telling their story though so many other's stories. It's beautiful and I'm so happy to be a part of it.
If you'd like to check out Issue 11: Lennon http://www.literaryorphans.org/playdb/issue11-lost-prophet-lennon/
If you'd like to see my poem http://www.literaryorphans.org/playdb/lake-next-house-rebekah-veerasammy/
I encourage you to like LO on Facebook and follow them on twitter. If you click on any of the links above read through the letter from the Editor and the note from the Editors, it'll really help you understand this issue!
Thank you again,
xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment