Thursday, October 3, 2013

Confession: I Am Most Definitely A Choir Kid!

All throughout my life I can honestly say that I've grown up in a really musical house. My mom; a beautiful singer and flute player, and my father; a music enthusiast who always played his tunes way too loud and way too early on saturday mornings. Needless to say, I've always been surrounded with music and as a result it permeated into my life and became one of passions as well as a talent. So, in grade 7 when my music teacher advised me to audition for the Upper Canada Chorus, I jumped at the chance. 6 years later I now find myself without my weekly rehearsals. Having graduated from high school this past June, I also graduated from choir. It's been really unnatural going back to school and not having choir to take my mind off of it all. For so many years I got into the routine of losing myself in the music, working really hard but enjoying the feeling of conquering a really hard harmony and interacting with people my age who were just as much in love with music as I was. I don't think I can really put into words how much I valued my time in choir; it changed me and I would go back and do all 6 years again in a heartbeat. When most kids don't know who they are, what they want to be and what they love to do, I was really fortunate to know all of those things because of the Upper Canada Chorus. I can't thank anyone involved enough because they nurtured my 13 year old self and helped her gain confidence. I'm so glad that 13 year old me decided to step out of her shell and audition (as terrified as I was) because had she not, I certainly wouldn't be who I am today.

I strongly encourage you, no matter your age, to get involved in something you love, with people who love it too. It changes you. Pursuing your passion is more than just learning about it, it allows you to grow as a person and be a better you. 

It makes me so sad that I can't sit in rehearsals and laugh with my friends about stupid things, sing beautiful pieces and feel the belonging that I did every time I sat down on monday nights; but I'm so thankful for the time I had and the friendships I made because I'm better for it all. I don't really feel that I can ever put into words all the good times I had and anything I write will never do my experience justice. I feel so much for the last 6 years that I can't possible describe it to you without starting to cry - but simply put,  the most important years of my life, thus far, I spent making music. And in my opinion that was a great way to spend them. It's been 6 years of monday night rehearsals, tours, retreats and concerts and I loved them all.


ps. I just got a new laptop so none of my pictures are with me at the moment, as soon as I can remedy that I will post a nice long post of my favourite choir pictures and memories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment